[FPSPACE] Russia resources for ISS

Benigno Muniz Jr. bmuniz@rain.org
Fri, 01 Sep 2000 12:15:06 -0700

At 08:04 AM 9/1/2000 -0400, Scott Benson wrote:
>"Russia's ISS budget for the current year was 40 million dollars but the
>space agency had
>succeeded in raising 3.5 billion dollars from commerical ventures, mostly
>in collaboration
>with US firms, Koptev said."
>
>What is Koptev talking about???   Rubles? 3.5B$ is significantly more than
>the US will spend on ISS next year. They should be able to build all the
>remaining Russian modules, and launch 3 or 4 years worth of Soyuz and
>Progress missions for that.

My guess is that he was mixing apples & oranges, and talking about
commercial launch contracts not associated w/ ISS (e.g. the upcoming Sirius
2 launch).

Ben Muniz  bmuniz@rain.org

"Man will never reach the moon regardless of all future scientific advances."
-- Dr. Lee De Forest, inventor of the vacuum tube and father of television.