[FPSPACE] space.com Illustrated

Dwayne Allen Day wayneday@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:27:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Brett Harrison wrote:

> > The cover is illustrated with a photo of a pale androgynous elf wearing a

> The cover can be seen at http://www.space.com/subscribe/index.php3
>
> From what I can make out, the elf is supposed to represent "Generation S" who
> will "grow up on Mars"

Yeah.  But a) there is no caption that indicates that, and b) if this is
what "Generation S" is going to look like, we better start sterilizing our
astronauts.

> - from the sound of it, a reference to the Ray Bradbury
> article.  Maybe this is future fashion as recommended by Mt Bradbury.

The problem with this is that the Ray Bradbury piece is a self-indulgent
article about... Ray Bradbury.  He writes about his childhood, about his
work with the Smithsonian, about the lectures he's given and the fans
who worship him.  He's obviously a very old man who has nothing better to
left to write about.  When was his last successful novel, by the
way?   And, seriously, hasn't Ray Bradbury written about humans going to
Mars about ten thousand times now?

> I agree, it's a pretty odd cover.

I'm not sure "odd" is the right word.  Horrific and dull and sexually
indeterminate is probably a more apt description.

> Maybe they should have threatened to shoot her if you don't buy the
> magazine (or if you do..).

It's a good question whether this, um, thing is male or female.
Apparently its Ziggy Stardust quality is supposed to turn us all on--which
is rather perverted when you think about it.  If I saw it on a newstand,
I'd be scared to touch it--it certainly would not make me want to pick up
the magazine and look inside.

I agree that a better caption would be "Buy this magazine or we don't kill
this kid."

>  ;-)  The contents certainly don't sound too inspiring...

But there's a profile of Robert Zubrin!  Those things never get dull!

DDAY