[FPSPACE] British budgets & Russian rations

KEITH GOTTSCHALK kgottschalk@uwc.ac.za
3 Aug 2000 19:42:05 +0200

> Did anyone see the recent British Airways
> commercial on ABC Sports at about 4:30PM Saturday 23 July?
 It features
> an American astronaut complaining to a Russian cosmonaut
about their
> space food and then it cuts away to a pair of British
spaceplane pilots
> enjoying a delicious snack as they head back to Earth.
The impression
> left is that the British will do space in style.

  so far, the UK's sole resident cosmonaut, Helen Sharman,
has not even been selected for the ESA corps of spacenauts.
She has understandable switched to popularizing science
education amongst children.  :(    :(

>   [CORRESPONDENT] DID NAZAROV RECEIVE ANY AWARD FOR THIS?
>   [ZAPADINSKIY] YES, HE RECEIVED THE MILITARY SERVICE
ORDER AND A PREMIUM
> FROM
> THE SUPREME COMMANDER, AND I PAID OFF ALL THE DEBTS WE
OWED HIM IN  FOOD
> ALLOWANCES FOR THE LAST FOUR YEARS. HE WAS SATISFIED AND
HAPPY.
 >   [CORRESPONDENT] MANY OF THEM HAVE TO LOOK FOR JOBS ON
THE SIDE. THERE IS
> NO WAY TO SURVIVE WITHOUT THIS.

   The blunt truth. Only Pizza Hut ads on the rocket's side
enable the ground workers to eat rye bread, never mind
pizza.  That TsUP workers need food allowances because their
wages are too low to buy adequate food after paying rent,
commuting costs etc ispeaks for itself.  That TsUP workers
are not even paid the food rations they are entitled to is
yet more grim. Since at least 1997, theyhave to either live
off their working spouses, their working adult children, or
moonlighting jobs.

    From robotic moon flights to human moonlighting  :(  :(
 :(